[TenTec] Re: Astron mod

Michael Melland, W9WIS w9wis at charter.net
Thu May 22 11:45:49 EDT 2003

I use two RM-70 Astron amps in parallel to drive my Ten-Tec Hercules II amp.
The amps have a post on the rear to enable them to be paired direct...
regulator to regulator.  It is not a true "sense" circuit like many are
familiar with... no remote sensing of delivered voltage at the source.
Astron told me that one should adjust the voltages "under load" to be as
close to equal as possible... in fact in my situation I adjusted the
internal pots so that under load both amps oputput the same amperage under
shared load ... ~40 amps each without connecting the sense circuit.

If you connect the 723's per the posts one amp is about 30 -35 amps while
the other is about 45 -50 amps.  Astron told me not to connect the sense
circuit in this instance and go with the manual adjustment as it's more
balanced.

Mike, W9WIS