[TenTec] Virtual, Actual

Duane Grotophorst n9dg at yahoo.com
Fri May 23 08:20:08 EDT 2003

--- nq5t at attbi.com wrote:
> That's really too bad.
>
> And speaking of geeks, I still carry a slide rule in
> my Palm Pilot enabled
> briefcase. "3.2" is generally a more meaningful
> answer than 3.21423242325342,
> especially when "2.1" and "9.6" are the numbers from
> which the calculation was
> derived.  I hope you know why ... many people don't
> anymore, even some well
> schooled young engineers I've run into -- and of
> course they don't have a clue
> that a slide rule is anything more than an obscure
> antique, and couldn't take a
> square root without a calculator if their life
> depended on it.  Technology has
> made us smarter, and made us really stupid .. all at
> the same time.
>
> Guess I'm just an analog guy ...
>
> Grant

The key point I'm trying to make is that technology
does march on, and that by and large all the new ham
radio models being introduced today are the analogous
equivalent of digital slide rules. So using ham radio
gear today is like being stuck using those digital
slide rules and drafting tables for major design
projects instead of highly integrated engineering
software packages and CAD.

There's nothing wrong with nostalgia in and of itself,
just don't insist that all new products must still
look, work and be the same as they have always been.

Duane
N9DG