[TenTec] First Orion Split DX

Jim Reid jimr.reid at verizon.net
Mon May 26 11:31:03 EDT 2003

Hi,

Just for fun,  worked the "new" E. Timor entity this morning,
4W2DN.  He was split,  he on 14180,  listening up.

So,  after  figuring the button use (did not use the N4PY
software,  as just downloaded a new version of that
just before hearing the 4W) and set up for split,  got
him after a few calls.  He was asking for "stateside",
so figuring that Hawaii is one of the states,  it was
ok for me to call, hi.  He did come back to my call
eventually,  and he was denying QSO's with a few
Europeans who were also calling.  Was a huge gang
from the US mainland calling over several kHz of band.
Were not many "cops" on his frequency for a change
but there were a few who did call on his freq; just happens
sometimes you get the wrong VFO.

Anyway,  still having fun with the Orion,  and very pleased
to read of the reports about the rig's performance in the WPX.
I just did not have any strong signals out here to "play"
with to deterring close spaced strong/weak signal pairs.
Interesting that the 250 Hz roof filter did not seem to
enhance the performance,  at least as reported.

73,  Jim  KH7M