[TenTec] Orion LO phase question

WILLIAM MANSEY wa2pvk at msn.com
Mon May 26 23:07:08 EDT 2003

Hello Darrel,
    Unless you have the Orion configured so that the Main RX and Sub RX
audio is routed to the opposite earpieces of stereo headphones there is only
one audio output.  The audio is mixed and fed to one speaker.
    The situation you are referring to is called Diversity Reception.  I
have used this quite effectively by having one receiver routed to a vertical
antenna and the other to a horizontal antenna on the opposite side of the
yard.  I use one VFO to control both receivers.  The net effect of this
arrangement is that if a signal fades on one of the receivers it is most
likely to increase on the other.  This effectively eliminates QSB when
listening with the speaker.  It is REAL interesting with the headphones
because it sounds like the signal is moving back and forth through my head.
I think (and hope) that this is due to the changes in signal polarization
and NOT because there is nothing in my head to prevent the signal from doing
that!  Maybe all these years of RF exposure HAVE had an effect!  This "True
Diversity Reception" was a very significant factor when I decided to order
an Orion.  I have had NO regrets over my purchase.  Get one (or two) you
will not be disappointed!  Don't forget the 30 day trial period.  Nothing
ventured nothing gained.  73, Bill
wa2pvk at msn.com Please visit my home page: http://mysite.verizon.net/wa2pvk