[TenTec] Re: Orion Noise Reduction

Grant Youngman nq5t at attbi.com
Wed May 28 08:17:40 EDT 2003

It seems less likely that something went west .. or south, that it does
that perhaps there is some set of conditions (AGC setting for
example) that is different, or noise characteristics or something else
that was different that day it seemed to perform so well.

I just spent a while listening to weak signals on the low end of 40
and playing with bandwidth and NR (AGC on med).  My impressions
are that as bandwidth is reduced the apparent reduction in
background noise (which admittendly isn't terribly high this morning)
decreased as bandwidth decreased.  And in fact the "apparent"
noise actually seemed to increase somewhat at bandwidths much
below 500 hz.  At the same time however, the signal itself tended to
become more distinct (with a slightly harder edge) and come UP out
of that noise, be louder, and be easier to copy.  Very apparent effect
which got more pronounced at the narrowest bandwidths

Thinking it might just be a level increase overall, I compared that
with just increasing the volume level with NR off, but on very weak
signals there was a striking advantage to signal readability with NR
on.

Guess I'm going to have to pull one of the audio DSP boxes out of
storage and see how it behaves in the same circumstance.

Grant/NQ5T

> Thanks to W7SV, KE4WY and NQ5T who sent the v1.337 Orion
update file. > I loaded it into my Orion, but the NR acted the same
as when the newer > update files were loaded.  I'm at a loss as to
why the NR seemed to > work so well on CW when I first tried it.
Either something went west > with my Orion's NR on CW or its an
inherent problem in all Orions. > > Hopefully Ten-Tec can solve the
problem in a future update. > > 73, de Earl, K6SE >