[TenTec] Continuing the Yahoo Orion Reflector

Jim Reid jimr.reid at verizon.net
Wed May 28 11:42:14 EDT 2003

Someone asked:

> What are the reasons for keeping it?

First,  the majority of those who "voted" or expressed
an opinion were in favor of keeping a separate Orion
reflector.

The most common reason/excuse was to have a concentrated
source of Orion info for those "just" interested in that rig;
and most of them seem to be folks who do not now own,
nor know anything about Ten Tec as such.  They asked
for the list to continue so they might get info about the Orion
separate from the chatter,  old TT rig sales/discussions,  etc.
on going at the contesting.com site.  Nearly all of these sorts
of votes came from folks who are evidently ONLY subscribed
to the yahoogroups list;  majority of pro votes came from
the yahoogroups list.

I believe having this separate list for potential brand new
buyers of Ten Tec equipment will both possibly increase the
number or orders from "outsiders" than otherwise,  and get
them also interested in the quality of Ten Tec's products
an service.

Many of the "newcomers" only subscribe to the Orion
yahoogroups list and mentioned that they were "accustomed" to
dedicated model reflectors about the rigs they have used
for the past many years.  They have heard "chatter" about
the Orion,  and went to Yahoo for info.

Most of the con against the separate list was from those of
us who have owned Ten Tec gear for years,  love every
model ever built,  and probably have owned/still own a few
of the older rigs (as my own Triton 544 and Corsair II).
Personally,  I would have preferred a single list,  and
dropping the yahoogroups.com list.

Those of us liking the single list enjoy having lots of info
about Ten Tec,  the comings and goings among the gang
of the older rigs,  their popularity, comment about their
operation,  etc.  So we would appreciate having all the
Ten Tec info concentrated together on one busy daily list.

There were votes against the list from some who believe
that yahoo subscriptions add to the dose of spam rcvd,
and just won't use a yahoogroups list.  I have noticed that some
spam originates from yahoo email addresses, but when
I try to bounce the spam,  I get a notice from Norton's
that the yahoo address is not valid!  Don't know how that
works.  Also,  most of the spam here is addressed to
various amateur  call signs and never are any of those
my own;  those have to be coming via the arrl server,
I guess.

Finally,  I did not originate the yahoogroups list.  Ken,
N9 V V did for the purpose of augmenting his very
informative and dedicated Orion rig web site.  Ken's Orion
web site seemed to serve the same purpose as his
original purpose for the yahoogroups list:  a concentrated
source for info exchange about the rig and experiences
using it.  BTW,  Ken's Orion site is still up and loaded
with lots of up to date info,  see:

http://www.n9vv.com/orion.html

For the benefit of newcomers to Ten Tec gear, attracted
by all the on-the-air chatter about the Orion,  am sure
Ken's web site,  and this list he started,  will continue
to serve a valuable resource of info.  In support of that
goal,  adding new users of Ten Tec gear,  let's be sure
to post good Orion info and experiences to the list
being read by the potential new Ten Tec customers
and gear users.

73,  Jim  KH7M