[TenTec] SPAM, athletes foot, and other undesirable afflictions

AC5E at aol.com AC5E at aol.com
Wed May 28 22:43:43 EDT 2003

One of the best things I ever did was to to <A HREF="www.grc.com">www.grc.com</A> ( Gibson Research
home page) and do the "test my shields, probe my ports" deal. Read all about it,
then do it.

There's a good bit of  "keep your information private" stuff on the site, and
"Unplug and Pray" and the other freeware anti-intruder, anti-ActiveX control,
and other anti-anti programs that are highly recommended. And which work well
on the fifteen or so 'net enabled computers I take care of.

Norton gets cussed and discussed quite a bit, but an anti-virus program is
almost necessary these days, and I haven't found anything better. This confusor
runs Norton Internet Security Pro, System Works, Zone Alarm Pro, and grc says
it's in full stealth mode. The programs all work together quite well, with
most of the intruder flags from IS Pro, and a few from ZA.  Good. If somebody
with a legitimate reason and a badge wants to look they are welcom. Otherwise,
intruders keep out.

I hope this helps someone.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E