[TenTec] IC-7800 - no but

AC5E at aol.com AC5E at aol.com
Sat May 31 12:30:31 EDT 2003

A TenTec Omega is an interesting concept - but at this time it's interesting
rather than practical. The market for such a radio is certainly small and it
may well be nonexistant.

Personally, I had rather someone else prove there's a significant market for
such a thing - but if there is a wish list for further product somewhere in
Sevierville, here's mine.

A "tween" rig between Jupiter and Orion. An updated and upgradable version of
the Omni VI+, with a single reciever, two VFO's, etc., at a price point of
$2200-2500. Omni VII?

A "junior" version of the Jupiter,  with frequency readout and mode leds
instead of a screen, for a 100 watt HF mobile rig. Diana, perhaps?  Price point,
$1,000 to $1,250.

A VHF/UHF dual 50/75 watt  all mode satellite rig. And it wouldn't hurt my
feelings if it were triband, 6, 2, and 70 cm. Price point, $2,000.  While
Jupiter has plenty of satellites it should have a different name.  Saturn?

A 1,000 to 1,500 watt  solid state amplifier, with your option of  either a
12 to 50 volt inverter with provision for a built in battery to keep the max
drain off the vehicle's electrical system, or a 50 V  70 A power supply for AC
use; and a "low range" auto antenna tuner for up to 3:1 SWR or so. Should sell
well at around $4,000 or a bit over.

No 2m mobile? No, let someone else bring the Chinese built disposables in and
peddle them for $99.  Live and let live you know.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E