[TenTec] Why Ethernet?

AC5E at aol.com AC5E at aol.com
Sat May 31 14:57:52 EDT 2003

I certainly agree it's about time to change to something besides an RS232
port  Including a serial port means the customer must shop carefully to make sure
they can hook up their rig. Todays most common choices are Ethernet, USB, and
Firewire.  And then there's the other hundred "new and improved"  stars of
tomorrow. If they catch on - which most probably will not.

While there's nothing really wrong with the typical Ethernet port, I don't
network my rigs all that often.  But between the rotor interfaces, computer
logging, keyer, amp interface, etc., etc., there are a whole bunch of wires going
to the back of the shack computer and ham gear.  Far too many for either
comfort or easy servicing.

So I would prefer either a regular USB or Firewire port on a rig. At the rig
end, there's very little difference in cost of implementation between any of
the common choices, and far  more confusors come with USB/Firewire than network
ports these days.  A single strategically located hub with a couple of more
daisy chained to it would sure relieve a lot of the clutter around here.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E