[TenTec] Why Ethernet?

Jim Dunbar jdunbar28 at mchsi.com
Sat May 31 18:15:38 EDT 2003

Ethernet is really the only logical choice. The 802.3 standard for Ethernet
as well as the 803.11 standard for Wireless Ethernet are
pretty much the universal networking protocols for just about every company
in existence. These companies are running with TCP/IP as the protocol
running over their ethernet networks. It provides you the ability to
interconnect workstations , servers, and any other ethernet capable devices.
It doesn't matter what operating system is being used on the network either.

What you don't want is to have is some proprietary networking protocol being
used to interconnect devices. Ethernet provides the ability to set up FTP
servers and/or TFTP servers in order to upgrade your firmware on the radios,
or for any other kind of control
programs.

I currently have a home office that has both my work  computers as well as
my ham radio equipment. I use a LinkSys four port Ethernet Switch that also
functions as a wireless Access Point interconnected to my cable modem.
Therefore, I can have all of my computers in the office interconnected via
the Ethernet Lan over CAT 5  cable, and I can also take a laptop or a
desktop with a LinkSys Wireless Client PCMCIA card or a Wireless Client
device that interconnects to the PC via the USB port. With either
method, I can now reach the network from anywhere in the house.

Jim
K4PV