[TenTec] Omni VI speech processor / Steve Baron

KD7EFQ at aol.com KD7EFQ at aol.com
Thu Nov 6 21:15:46 EST 2003

Hi Steve, I have found that it depends on my operating style at the time. I
don't use the processor for ragchewing at all. However if I am talking to weak
mobiles, DX chasing etc.
I use a little processing, Just enough to just hit the very beginning of the
black processing zone on the meter. Most ragchewers hate processors, but when
working weak stations that
have trouble hearing you, exchange of information audio is more important
than Hi Fi quality
audio. I follow the manual on setting processor level / mic gain carefully
and then back the processor off a little. Omni VI's can get really nasty really
quick with too much mic gain or not the proper ratio of processor level / mic
gain. I find being conservative with it pays off. 73.
Todd