[TenTec] Heil HC-4 and Orion

Carl Moreschi n4py at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 8 17:59:10 EST 2003

Bill,

I have the Heil Goldline mic with the HC-4 element as the second element or
DX element.  It works fine with my Orion.  I get good audio reports from my
son monitoring my signal about 10 miles away.  I have to set the Orion audio
gain to 100 with this element all by itself.

The normal way I run this mic is through my TenTec model 234 RF speech
processor.  I don't use much processing in the outboard processor by what it
does provide is a nice mic amplifier to bring the level of the mic up to
something the Orion likes better.  With the outboard speech processor in
line I run the Orion mic gain at 31.  The Goldline gives a a very good
"Hifi" sound with the wide element, and a nice DX punch with the HC-4
element.  I never use the Orion speech processor and I really like audio
from the outboard processor I have has for years.  One thing the Outboard
processor does is guarantee clipping does not occur in the Orion as the
output of the processor is limited by its own clipping level and cleaned up
by removing all the harmonics by converting to RF and then back to audio.

73,

Carl Moreschi N4PY
Franklinton, NC