[TenTec] Ant for hotel use

Reed w4jz at ispwest.com
Mon Nov 10 19:22:37 EST 2003

Jamie, getting RF out of a motel room has got to be one of the worse
challenges a ham can face.  I did that for over 20 years & if you
can't get that window open then you are limited to VHF or UHF
repeaters.

The noise is another thing that is unreal!  I don't believe there is a
motel built that doesn't have RFI.  And you want to wipe out some TV's
just try running 100 watts out.  My co-workers would complain the next
morning about there TV's blinking off & on.  Luckily they didn't know
it was me, so I decided to limit my out put to under 10 watts. Didn't
matter anyway, couldn't be heard with 100 watts no way with 10 watts.
Just too much steel in those concrete walls!

Only success I have had was running the coax in from the van or
sitting in van.  You have to be careful of the coax too.  Want to have
it either taped down real good or what I did was run it over top of
door then through top of back door of van.  Had Hustler antenna
mounted on front mirror.  Someone trips & falls you probably will be
liable!

If you can get a motel or hotel with a balcony then you have a chance
of getting out, but you will still hear some RFI.  Horizontal
antennas,two ham sticks or whatever made into a dipole, will have less
noise than a vertical.

If you can't find one that will at least let you crack a window open
where you can run a fishing pole out to extend wire away from
building, then get on the highest level possible & tape dipole on
window. I have used a Outbacker, tri split, and a mag mount mounted on
the central unit in room for 17 meters.  Did make a few QSO's, but
other stations had very good beams.  I also was on the 12th floor!
Noise again on my end was S9.

Good luck & if you find that magic antenna that works  inside a motel
room be sure to post it!

Reed  W4JZ