[TenTec] TT 1220 problem

Bill Miner wg6h at postoffice.pacbell.net
Wed Nov 12 10:55:21 EST 2003

Brian,

I agree with Jerry K0CQ.  This is most likely a bad (open or high ESR)
aluminum electrolytic capacitor.  The type of noise you describe could
be from the Microcontroller or the BA618 display driver as well as the
PLL circuit. I would look at C-44,C-48, C-42, C-41, C-87, etc.  Perhaps
you could tack solder a known good cap across these one at a time and
see if the problem goes away.
Have you installed the "optional" C-86 4700 ufd filter cap? This may
help also.

I have built several of these kits and they have all worked great.  The
receiver has exceptional sensitivity.

Good luck. Please let us know what you find.

73,
Bill - K6WLM