[TenTec] Orion and MIKEs

Grant Youngman nq5t at comcast.net
Fri Nov 14 18:07:21 EST 2003

> Have got to disagree with on this subject.Another poster noted that
> the DC resistance from the shell of the mike jack was abt 6 OHMS and
> asked to anyone else to try it-the DC reisistance on my Jupiter to the
> back chassis ground point reads abt 8 ohms.No way this should occur

I don't agree.

Perhaps anyone who thinks it is a serious problem (serious enough to
begin strapping ground wires in his radio) should have the discussion
with T-T engineering.  Unintended ground loops and (potentially) radiating
or pickup wires floating around are not necessarily a good thing.  They
may do no harm, but as a reasonably experienced engineer, I have spent
more than just a little time chasing problems that turned out to be ground
path related issues of one kind or another, or digital switching hash
getting into places it isn't wanted, etc.

It is not uncommon to have signal grounds appear at a slightly different
potential than case ground (which is what we're talking about) depending
on where the two are measured.  The issue is more the where and how
the two are bonded (if they're bonded at all).

If you follow T-T microphone cabling instructions bonding the shield (and
mic housing)  to the shell at the connector, the mic signal ground and the
case ground will be at the same potential at the bond point,  and the
intended bond point is right at the connector -- not at the rear of the radio.
The design of the  Studio One and other T-T mics meet this spec. It's a
simple and appropriate thing to do.  Maybe it doesn't matter.  But if it
does, then why not just do it that way and call it a day.

Grant/NQ5T