[TenTec] Orion in Contests

Billy Cox aa4nu at ix.netcom.com
Sat Nov 15 20:51:45 EST 2003

>Ok, So no contest wins with TT equip? I find that hard to
>believe. Maybe I should be looking at sites devoted to
>contesting only for my answer.

Whoa ... I didn't say "no contest wins with TT equip", let not
misquote here ... in fact I'll even provide you with one "win"
to start your research ... W4PA at the K4JNY station ... look
at his numbers for many YEARS ... and when Scott travels
he normally carries at least 1 Omni VI+ with him to guest op.

So if you add in his other "wins" the list grows, but Scott is
a very top-tier op, so let's give him credit for HIS talent too ...

And yes, probably the archives of CQ-contest as well as those
past issues of NCJ would be a better place for accurate data.

In fact NCJ has done at least two sets of "surveys" ... so dig
out those back issues and crunch the data for your own review.

>W4ZV's Numbers are impressive, considering who / what he
>was up against.

Bill's a heck of an op ... 10m AND 160m! But trying to compare
one station to another is not so valid, especially when different
areas have different op skills and band openings ... one point
remains valid ... he was under no limitations by using the Orion.

>I just figured with the number of  CW ops who feel TT's qsk is the
>best around, they would have some wins under  their belts,
>especially in CW events. Not that it's all that important to me,
>but a good bit of trivia to know.

I used to think that too ... and the station here runs HP QSK, but
most CW guest ops, especially the newer ones, use semi-QSK.

Me, I prefer the QSK ... much faster response time and allows
you to pay attention to what's really going on ... real time ...

Another consideration as to the QSK is that many popular
amps do not run QSK ... so there's another challenge ...

>I guess if I'm confronted with the question  "What's so great about
>Ten Tec",  Lacking the necessary facts, I can always answer with:
>"If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand." ( My apologies to
>Harley Davidson Corp.) :-) 73.

Your question was valid ... and one that many have, and will ponder
in the future ... with the addition of the Orion 'system' <hardware AND
software>, there's a strong potential for minds to change on this topic.

73 Billy AA4NU