[TenTec] New TenTec Software and N4PY Issue

Duane Grotophorst n9dg at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 15 20:00:07 EST 2003

--- Steve Baron - KB3MM <SteveBaron at StarLinX.com>
wrote:
> Where do they get IR 16 from ?
> Standard numbering is 0 thru 15.

This question got me thinking so I had to do a bit of
research into where IRQ's above 15 come from. I knew
that W2K can share IRQ's but had never really tried to
wrap my head around what was actually happening
underneath. In the case of my machine it uses a BIOS
feature called ACPI that provides the ability to use a
single IRQ shared across many different PCI devices.
So the long and short of it is that all of the IRQ's
above 15 are actually using (sharing) IRQ9 where ACPI
is located.

However the more I think about the problems that I'm
seeing I'm inclined to believe that the TT 2.0 GUI/com
problem is a race condition that was introduced by
adding multiple threads to the program. The 16-bit
version is confined to a single processor thread, so a
race condition between threads is not possible.

Duane
N9DG