[TenTec] Simple Answer - Why and how is Orion better?

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Mon Nov 17 20:13:10 EST 2003

W5YR wrote:
As a long-time Icom user who is unfamiliar with Ten Tec equipment, any
effort on my part to obtain a straightforward technically oriented response
to the basic questions of *why* and *how* is the ORION superior to my
IC-756PRO2 is met with derision for owning a "ricebox" (apologies in advance
to those offended) and the reminder that instead of free upgrades, I had to
buy a new radio to get around the "problems" of the original PRO. Of course,
the PRO2 is now selling fully equipped with power supply, internal tuner,
etc. for just over half the price of a fully equipped ORION.

         George, I believe this was an academic question because I'm sure
you know *why* and *how* I feel Orion is superior to a PRO2 or MP.  The
answer for me is extremely simple and straightforward.

Radio                           IMDDR3 (5 kHz spacing)
Orion                                       101 dB
Elecraft K2                                 88 dB
FT1000MP Mk V                        73 dB
Kenwood TS2000                        69 dB
Icom IC756 Pro II                        76 dB

What does this mean to a contester like myself?  It means
on a VERY crowded band, my noise floor should be 25-28 dB
lower than a PRO2 or MP.  25-28 dB is a HUGE difference!  It
means I can hear the QRP guys running 1 watt to the same
antenna that will require 400 watts for you to hear them on a
PRO2 or MP.  Is this worth another 3 dB in price...to me it
most definitely is...in fact it's a real bargain when you consider
what you would have to do to get 25-28 dB in antenna gain to
accomplish the same result...of course that wouldn't help the
PRO2 or MP on receive because then their front-ends would be
totally saturated.

         The above measurements are from ARRL Test Reports
and Ten-Tec using ARRL test methodology for Orion.  Soon
we'll have the actual ARRL results, but I will be extremely
surprised if they differ much from TT's measurements.  Since
I recently experienced Orion's very quiet passband in the CQ
WW SSB myself, I have no reason to doubt their claims.

         Was that a "straightforward technically oriented response"?

                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV