[TenTec] Simple Answer - Why and how is Orion better

jsb at digistar.com jsb at digistar.com
Tue Nov 18 11:30:52 EST 2003

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Bill Tippett wrote:

> But remember that "very strong" to Orion means >S9+30 and "very strong"
> for lesser receivers may be 25 dB less before they begin creating IMD
> products in the passband.  You may never be aware of these unless you
> are trying to copy weak signals.

I can attest to that - W1AW isn't so far south of me - when the
teleprinter broadcasts are going out at 1500 watts I can squeeze the
passband down to 300Hz, then use the PBT tuner to shift up 300Hz and my
front end is able to receive the very weakest signal on the band as if
W1AW isn't even there.

I have witnessed an S9+44dB signal from W1AW on my Jupiter be completely
taken out of the picture - if you can't hear it, it's because the Jupiter
has taken it out, not because it's been masked over.

I've not used an Orion before but if it's anything like the Jupiter i'm
sure it's sonic coitus.

73 Jason W0JSB