[TenTec] Orion Beta Testing

ac5e at comcast.net ac5e at comcast.net
Tue Nov 18 17:34:42 EST 2003

Joe, the original firmware issues were not "functionality" issues. Most were "why doesn't it do so-and-so" issues, with a few "why in blazes does it do it that way"  issues mixed in. So "ditsnbits at rfsquared.com" got quite a few suggestions, complaints, and outright gripes.

To the best of my knowledge, ALL the issues have been taken care of. FREE. No extra filters, no charge for the firmware. I bought a first run radio that is functionally exactly the same as the last Orion produced.

Firmware takes less than ten minutes to update. I have had two or three DOWNLOAD problems that made me reinstall the last firmware, re-download the latest firmware, and reinstall it. So I'm out twenty minutes. With the sun spitting all over the place I'm out a little time I would spend fruitlessly dialing for someone to work. Big deal.

Now - you are an Omni VI+ owner. Me too. And I can tell you that if you enjoy the VI+, you don't know what a radio can be until you try an Orion. That's why the VI+'s in my shack are going to make room for more Orions.

There is no better radio on the market now - and I suspect it will be a while before there is. And when that radio is built, most likely Ten Tec will build it.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E