[TenTec] Orion in contests

ac5e at comcast.net ac5e at comcast.net
Wed Nov 19 00:40:08 EST 2003

Well, I can tell Rob does not know too many hard core contesters. The thought of five FT1000D's, with their transmitter phase noise, key clicks, and other assorted artifacts, operating from one site with antennas in close proximity is something to give even the toughest pause. Or even three 'D's at the same site, for that matter.

My three Omni VI's went for several years without the Dunestars I eventually added to each operating position. As long as we stayed off the same end of the same band we had few problems. The filters didn't help that situation with the Omni's - but a few of the guys insisted on bringing their latest "world beater."  As soon as they fired up it became hash city. You could always tell when someone used their own rig because the other ops would start hollering for them to "turn on the filters!"

Of course, my best guess about the Orion's artifacts comes from my through-the-block neighbor who is quite pleased with the lack of artifacts from the Orion. And I'm very pleased I can't hear him unless we are both trying to work the same DX station. THEN I CAN!!!  So that makes two of us pleased with one radio.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E