[TenTec] Transceiver Nirvana...

KD7EFQ at aol.com KD7EFQ at aol.com
Fri Nov 28 18:53:59 EST 2003

Hello, I feel it boils down to the realm of need vs. want. We are into the
rapid escalation phase of software evolution in Amateur Radio. As with
everything, it will eventually reach the  point of diminishing returns. On a very basic
level, all transceivers do basically the same thing, suck signals in and spit
signal out. Each Amateur is going to have a different level of what he can
actually afford. Competitive contestors / DX'ers will have the need to ride the
edge of the latest & greatest, and will most often have the means to pony up
the $ to afford the best. Ragchewers and casual Amateurs may not want to invest
as much, and will settle for a lower cost rig.Do I WANT an Orion,YES!  Do I
NEED an Orion? NO. Costs of the newer high end stuff will increase, but options
will always be there for the average Joe to get on the air. And there will
always be a used radio market, of which I have had very good luck with. I got my
Omni 6+ used, but it looks and works as if I got it new. Some of us will have
the newest rig every year, others will have to be content with what we have,
but there will always be something for everybody.

73, Todd - KD7EFQ

"The Race is over...THE RATS WON"