[TenTec] Paragon overcurrent fault

David McClafferty ve1adh at yahoo.ca
Sun Oct 5 10:54:23 EDT 2003

My friend Fred ,VE1PBX had a problem with his Paragon
shutting down on overcurrent even in receive. The
finals were drawing the current but they were not
defective, they were turned fully on. The bases were
getting voltage from the driver collector circuit
because the interstage transformer was shorted. The
secondary winding, which is wound with teflon wire,
had a tiny hole in the insulation where it was close
to the bottom side of the PC board. We have no idea
what caused the hole. This teflon insulation is very
tough. Replacing the wire cured the problem. Fred
wanted me to pass this on in case anyone else had the
same problem.

Dave, VE1ADH