Orion was ( [TenTec] Hercules III / Mark Erbaugh)

Cliff csegar at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 7 10:33:38 EDT 2003

At 08:03 AM 10/7/2003 -0500, wd4air wrote:
>>From: KD7EFQ at aol.com
>I'd also like to see a
>>color display on the Orion ...
>
>A "feature," I don't know if I would be so generous.

I recall my father stating that fishing lures are designed to catch
fishermen and not fish. I suspect that a color display would be designed to
catch hams and not ham signals. Personally, I am glad that the folks in
eastern Tennessee spent the R&D on catching the weak signals while throwing
out the 'tuner upper' 5KHz away. Maybe a color display with a band scope
and fancy color bars could let you know that the rest of the hardware and
software did its job but 90+% of us don't really care. We just wanted the
best Rx possible that doesn't have useful and needed itens burried 4 menu
levels down in some cryptic soft keys. No I can't afford the Icom 765 Pro
IIIc MPx Mark7 or whatever the latest rice version is now and I can't
afford the Orion with whatever the lasest *FREE* software revision might be
either. But the market that TenTec plays to are the serious amateurs that
care to have the very best equipment that their money can buy. Yes, for the
same money as the Argo V you can get a Yahoo FT-100 that plays DC to
DayLight with 100w but it sure doesn't have the performance of the TenTec.
Oh - and when the FT-100 had that nasty glitch in the first runs you
*bought* the second version at full price. The Argo V owners just did the
FREE upgrade and had it without driving anywhere.
If there's enough demand for the color display I'm sure that Carl Moreschi,
N4PY, can sell you the software to run on your PC to look really cool! ;-)

73 de KD4GT