[TenTec] New Orion

Ken & Linda Burrough w8keb at 1st.net
Thu Oct 9 10:01:43 EDT 2003

Hi All

As many know I brought my New Orion back from Sevierville Tuesday.  I got it
on the air yesterday and it is great.  I have made one contact on it and
that was with Ron, NA9F last night.  I find the DSP Filters to be the best
ever, I have all the Roofing Filters installed and they really cut
everything out.  The Noise Blanker works better then the NR in my old Omni
VI Plus and the AN does take out all carriers.  I am still finding the AGC
settings I like and when this happens I will save them.  The QSK is as good
or better on the Orion as it was on the Omni VI Plus.

I still have a lot to learn about the Orion and feel it will take two to
four weeks just to get comfortable with its operation.  The Orion is like
CW, the more you use it, the easier it gets.  No problems yet, everything
works as the manual states.

One thing on the manual, down load and print the manual on the Ten-Tec
WebPages, it is dated September 2003.  I had very little trouble reading
with the manual dated 25 April 2003, however, the new manual is better and
easier to read.

NA9F, K4CJW and W8IIT have new Orion's, hopefully they will be posting their
feelings about their Orion soon.

Ken/w8keb
Flushing, Ohio