[TenTec] Opinions on StepIR vertical

Doc K0EVZ dock0evz at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 10 01:33:01 EDT 2003

Gang:

I need help!  Am at a new location in the mountains east of Albuquerque,
NM.  Now comes the challenge of putting together an antenna farm.  I
believe a vertical or vertical dipole might be the best/fastest way to get
going.  Cannot get the funds together right now for a quad or yagi.

We are at 6630' ASL, on the top of a gently rolling hill with a good
360-degree look from our house.  The ground is normally dry with lots of
large and smallrocks.  This is high desert country. Part of my question is
whether to go with a vertical or a horizontal wire antenna, such as the 88'
doublet fed with ladder line, or maybe the IAC double bazookas I had such
terrific results with in North Dakota for the past four years.

Therefore, please make some recommendations.  I have successfully used a
GAP Titan DX in two previous QTH, with very good results.  Perhaps I should
just buy another one for here.  OTOH, I have been sorta eyeing the StepIR
antennas.  Can someone help me decide?  Or are there even better ideas from
someone?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

73,
--Doc/K0EVZ