[TenTec] Opinions on StepIR vertical

Peter Frenning, OZ1PIF oz1pif at get2net.dk
Fri Oct 10 21:58:02 EDT 2003

Don't know about the stepIR, so no comment on that, but on the mountain. On
the OX2K expedition, our QTH was located on top a 300m high granite
mountain. We used juryrigged deltaloops on 12, 17, 40 and 80m (we weren't
really prepared to work those bands, but conds turned out to be fairly
good). One evening, while going full tilt on a humongous JA pile-up on 40,
somebody comes into the cabin and yells that the deltaloop mast for 40 had
blown over, and the whole shebang was lying on the ground! Hadn't noticed a
thing, the signals were as strong as ever and the pile-up if anything
growing! (Yes I'm the infamous "shut UP!" operator)
Lesson learned: Being on ground like that is like having your antenna at
infinite height - you only need a support structure to keep it clear of
local obstacles, and to avoid frying you wife when she hangs the laundry on
it! And, boy oh boy, does it ever work.

So go ahead get a short tower and the StepIR or any other decent beam, and
enjoy your low emission elevation and all the DX landing on you doorstep,
not much fun ragchewing locally on 80 though HI HI

Vy 73 de OZ1PIF, Peter

email: oz1pif(no-spam-filler)@get2net.dk
http://hjem.get2net.dk/oz1pif
Ph. +45 4619 3239