[TenTec] Orion Color

John Clifford johnclif at ix.netcom.com
Sun Oct 12 18:07:12 EDT 2003

I don't know why people knock the idea of a color display.  IMO, it would
make a great radio even better.

The implementation on the 756 Pro and Pro II is a start, but Icom could have
used color to better effect.  Having displayable bitmaps as on the Pro II is
just a waste of firmware, but the way the bandscope shows latency is pretty
neat.

Imagine having a 'waterfall' display on the rig to help you find those
really faint CW signals, and to help you zero-beat your rig.  Imagine having
a color signal strength display so that you could give valid S-meter
readings to other ops.  Imagine having the active VFO be in a contrasting
color (say, red) while other text is in shades of blue.  Imagine having the
separate VFO settings in different colors, and having related groupings
(filter selections, modes, etc.) be adjacent on the screen rather than being
on each side... you could identify which VFO had what settings by color.
Imagine that, rather than having one-dimensional outlined tags for each of
the soft buttons around the screen's peripheracy, you could visually
separate the button status from the rest of the screen by having the text in
a reserved color... a lighter hue for 'off' and a deeper hue for 'on'.

I can think of a LOT of utility (not just glitz) for color on an HF rig.
Aesthetics and utility CAN go hand in hand... just look at the layout on a
new pickup truck dashboard versus one from 30 years ago... most of the same
controls and gauges, but the newer dashboards are generally easier to use
and to read, and much better looking to boot.

I bet there will be an Orion II in a few years that has a few additional
features (maybe two DSP chips and two identically hot receivers?) plus a
color display.

 - jgc

iJohn Clifford KD7KGX

Heathkit HW-9 WARC/HFT-9/HM-9
Elecraft K2 #1678 /KSB2/KIO2/KBT2/KAT2/KNB2/KAF2/KPA100
Ten-Tec Omni VI/Opt1
Alinco DR-605TQ
Icom T90A

email: kd7kgx at arrl.net