[TenTec] Orion SSB Challenge: why no Orions heard?

John Clifford johnclif at ix.netcom.com
Tue Oct 14 13:32:07 EDT 2003

> I think that the major reason people end up with the "wrong" rig on their
> desk is simply that they lack correct and appropriate
> information upon which to base a buying decision.

I think you have to define what "wrong" means.  Different people look for
different things when they buy a radio.

For the $1200 I spent on my used Omni VI/Opt1 a couple of years ago, I could
have purchased a brand-new Icom IC-746, or a Ten-Tec Jupiter.  I went with
the Omni because I wanted the performance it offered.

Now, I am thinking of getting rid of my Drake R8A and replacing it with a
mid-level transceiver that offers general coverage receive, and I am leaning
towards a Jupiter.

For me, CW performance is important, as is the ability to upgrade firmware
in the field.  I'll admit to heresy in that I think the displays on the Icom
rigs are more pleasant than those on the Jupiter/Orion, but I want the other
features that Ten-Tec offers so I am leaning towards Ten-Tec.

Of course, if I could have the performance features of the Ten-Tec line
combined with the great aesthetics of the displays on the Icom line... then
I wouldn't even have to look wistfully at a 746 Pro or 756 Pro II.  So...
why can't customers have performance and aesthetics?  The answer is, they
can... and hopefully Ten-Tec will eventually offer an upgrade that revamps
and improves the user interface on these rigs.  That is another reason I
lean towards Ten-Tec... the ability to upgrade firmware in the field means
that as long as that model is offered my radio will be up-to-date.

 - jgc

John Clifford KD7KGX

Heathkit HW-9 WARC/HFT-9/HM-9
Elecraft K2 #1678 /KSB2/KIO2/KBT2/KAT2/KNB2/KAF2/KPA100
Ten-Tec Omni VI/Opt1
Alinco DR-605TQ
Icom T90A

email: kd7kgx at arrl.net