[TenTec] Comparison of SGC 2020 to Argonaut

J. D. Beischel duffyb01 at fuse.net
Thu Oct 16 15:51:29 EDT 2003

I had an original 2020 (pre-DSP).  While it worked well on SSB and has a
nice receiver, it is the pits on CW.  Noisy relay, not true QSK, firmware
updates are about $100 and a trip back to the factory, and depending on the
radio, may not display the frequency correctly.  While there is a procedure
to align the frequency for a particular, when you perform the procedure, it
makes the problem even worse on the other bands.  I have spoken to several
owners of 2020 with DSP and the DSP seems to work well on their radios.
However, SGC went to pigtail connectors for power and for the antenna.  The
power was an improvement, but I would never buy a radio with an SO239 at the
end of a pigtail.  They are prone to failure and many have failed and had to
be replaced.  If SGC would give the rig solid state switching, Flash Memory,
an accurate frequency display, and better power/antenna connectors on the
back, it would be a very good radio and I would buy another.

However, I now have the Argonaut and think this rig runs circles around the
SGC2020 in terms of performance, QSK, computer interface, display accuracy,
DSP, etc.

However, the case on the 2020 is much sturdier - heck, you can drive a tank
over a 2020 - do not do the same with an Argonaut V.

Duffy