[TenTec] OMNI VI BDR on Crowded Bands

Tim Jones k9nx at insightbb.com
Fri Oct 17 16:10:33 EDT 2003

I was using an Omni VI during Sweepstakes and the stations on both sides of me
were about 30db on
The s meter and I could easily work stations that did not even move the s meter
and were just
Above the background noise. The FT1000 series of radios are known to have
Key clicks here is a link with some info
http://www.w8ji.com/keyclicks.htm this is might be what other stations
are hearing especially with a KW amp would only make it much more
noticeable and not be a problem with Omni's BDR maybe someone's
transmitter is a little bit wide

Jonesy
K9NX

Curt, NU7R, points out how good OMNIs are to use on crowded bands. I agree.

However, some hams have pointed out over the years on this reflector that
they have had trouble with OMNI VI's BDR when very nearby contest stations
are running a kilowatt or more through major antennas. In that case,
apparently, the Yaesu FT-1000MPs survive better--perhaps why they are the
standard rig in multi-multi environments. I don't have any such problems,
so this is not a concern.

Obviously, the ORION front ends are bullet proof.

73,
John, W3ULS