[TenTec] rohn 25

Roger Borowski K9RB at bellsouth.net
Sat Oct 18 18:01:57 EDT 2003

I've been using Stainless Steel bolts and nuts on my towers and antennas for
over 40 years and have not experienced any corrosion as 304 grade Stainless
Steel, which is commonly used for hardware, is inert from rust or corrosion
with other metals, unlike brass and copper against steel and/or zinc and
aluminum. It must be lubricated with never seize, which also protects the
Stainless Steel from friction galling against another Stainless Steel
fastener. As far as brittleness, Grade 5 steel bolts are relatively soft in
comparison to Grade 8 in steel bolts, although grade 8 will withstand far
more tensile stress. 304 Stainless Steel falls somewhere between grade 6 and
7, actually closer to 6, so its stronger than grade 5 steel but just a bit
more brittle. Not a problem in tower leg fastening applications as if the
hardware is amply tightened, there will not be any impact or shear pressures
on the bolt/s. Sorry for the off-topic postings. Just trying to set the
record straight as tower safety and susceptibility to corrosion is not to be
taken lightly.
73, Rog-K9RB  (former metallurgical engineer) (But not a Doctor!)