[TenTec] Centurion II

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at verizon.net
Sun Oct 19 09:10:33 EDT 2003

>as much as 30 amps AC at 120V which
>may be a wiring / fire hazard unless you have a pretty new home with modern
>wiring in it.

Every new home constuction that I have looked at uses 14 gauge "Romex"
style cable to feed multiple outlets. Even if this were used for a
single dedicated outlet, it would still not be satisfactory for 30 amps.

> I bought a heavy duty 10 guage 3 wire extension cord and wired into
>my dryer outlet to run mine.

I have seen dryer outlets with 50 amp circuit breakers. Assuming the
wiring was done properly, this would supply the current you need for the
amplifier without excessive voltage sag. A 10 gauge extension cord would
supply plenty of current to the amplifier, however if there were a fault
in the extension cord, a 50 amp circuit breaker might not pop before the
extension cord starts a fire. It would be safer to replace the 50 amp
breaker with a 30 amp one, provided the work is done by someone who
knows how to do it safely.

> Better safe than
>sorry.

YES!