[TenTec] Centurion

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ k5uj at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 19 23:44:35 EDT 2003

Not much else to add except that it can be wired for 115 v. and if you are
going to run it on that you should get a dedicated circuit and if you are
going to get a dedicated circuit you may as well get 240 v. and if you don't
confidently know what you are doing do what I did and pay a pro to put it in
for you.  I'm always surprised at the no. of hams who balk at this.  To get
a guy to come into my basement, run conduit, hammer drill an outlet box into
the wall, put in a breaker, outlet, pull wire and give me a plug for a 20 A
240 v. circuit cost $100.  I bet anyone who can afford a 1 or 1.5 Kw amp can
afford that.
Don't burn your house down or kill yourself.  Get someone else to do the
high voltage work and save yourself for other disasters like falling off
your roof. : )

One more thing to think about at some point is a surge protector for the
amp.   This is partly because unlike old amps which were entirely big robust
components, new ones have some pc cards in them with more sensitive
metering, control and switching circuits.  ICE (Industrial Communications
Engineers) makes a nice 25A 240 v. unit which is available directly from
them or through Array Solutions (www.arraysolutions.com).  It's the ICE
model 338 240 v. line filter and surge supressor.

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ