[TenTec] 450 ohm open line feed with ten tec tuner

w8au at sssnet.com w8au at sssnet.com
Sun Oct 19 22:12:12 EDT 2003

At 08:11 PM 10/19/2003, you wrote:
>now, it's been a while since I've used open line, but any ideas on how to
>get it into the shack?
>
>and, should I use a external balun with the 238 tuner to keep the open line
>outside the shack?
>
>or would the internal balun work better? but have the feed line inside the
>shack?

Man, you're opening up a can of worms, Mike! :-)
You're going to get all sorts of suggestions......

I run my "true" open line (wire with ceramic or plastic spreaders) down to
where it enters the house,
then splice the vinyl 450 ohm stuff to it and run it thru a PVC conduit
into the shack.   This way
the lines do not short to each other, and all is well.

Certainly not necessary to add baluns and run coax inside.   In fact, save
a dB or two and skip
the baluns.   (or more dB, even, if the reactive component is high)

Hope all is well at the Bryce mansion...

PB