[TenTec] Re: Rudimentary SWR question...

Bill Fuqua wlfuqu00 at uky.edu
Mon Oct 20 15:11:35 EDT 2003

Not quite correct. The driven element is at resonance to maximize radiation
but the others are slightly off to either side of resonance so that  for
phasing purposes. This is so that the induced currents in the reflector
will produce waves of such phase that they will cancel out in the reverse
direction and the currents induced in the directors will produce waves of
such phase that they will add to those propagating in the forward
direction. That is why they are called parasitic elements. Instead of
getting their power from phased feed lines they get from the driven element.
    The act of using a tuner to match impedance makes the system resonant.
That is what impedance matching does when you have  a reactive component
off.  When you have  some R-jX and you match it with R+jX the  imaginary
parts cancel out and only at one frequency. The resonant frequency.

73
Bill wa4lav