[TenTec] Re: Rudimentary SWR question...

Dudley Hurry jhurry at austin.rr.com
Thu Oct 23 01:36:30 EDT 2003

The original statement was that any short  non-resonant antenna can be as
efficient as a resonant dipole.  I disagree.   It will work, take a load and
will receive, but can not approach the efficiency of a full size dipole.  It
is just a compromise to be able to  cover much wider frequency range, than a
dipole cut for a certain frequency..  Mismatches in the system will effect
the overall efficiency, and signal will be lost in heat.

"Using that erroneous concept, they cannot see how a
shorter antenna can perform virtually the same as a long antenna"

My point is my mobile antenna will never be as efficient antenna as my
dipole or quad for the same given frequency.

A 3:1 SWR can not be TUNED out of a system with a black box, only translated

Thanks and 73's,
Dudley
WA5QPZ