[TenTec] Orion 1.364 and up, distorted transmit audio

Grant Youngman nq5t at comcast.net
Sat Oct 25 22:56:21 EDT 2003

Gents ...

With 1.364 or 1.365 in my Orion, there is a distortion product being
transmitted in audio modes.  1.363 is clean as whistle.  The
distortion can be heard in MONITOR as a high frequency "scratch"
on the audio.  It may not be apparent to the listener on SSB
because of narrow receive bandwidths.  However it is very apparent
on AM, showing up on a separate monitor receiver sounding exactly
the way it sounds on the MONITOR -- which is what is expected.

I've verified it is not related to specific microphones, inputs
(MIC/AUX), external speech processing stuff, RF, etc.  It is directly
related to something in the change from 1.363 to 1.364.

If this affects your Orion, you may want to consider sticking with
1.363 if you don't need the features added in the later releases until
T-T has had a chance to look at the issue.  There was a similar
problem that only affected the AM mode back around release
1.328/1.329 that was subsequently fixed.  But this time it seems to
affect all voice modes equally.

Grant/NQ5T