[TenTec] ~ 1/4 wave 160 doublet

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 21 15:06:43 EDT 2003

<<There is a "magic" feed line length to make tuning easier, that's when
the length of the feeder and one half the antenna make a multiple of 1/4
wave. >>

I have heard this before several times but never with the length of 1/2 the
antenna.   What I always heard was to avoid a balanced feed lenth that's an
even multiple of 1/4 w. at your lowest operating frequency (band).   If I
add 1/2 of my antenna I've got a length that's 1/2 wave on 75--ooops.  The
Matchmaster seems to be happy though but I'd like to know why 1/2 of the
antenna is added in.

Jim, if you can, I'd try hanging wire off the ends of your dipole to make it
1/3 wave on 160 (don't know how high up it is).  I operate a 1/3 wave on 80
and it works fine.  I don't have room for a full sized 1/2 wave on my
property.  I am going to try to get on 160 by turning the 80 meter antenna
into a rectangular loop.  Maybe that's an option for you--if you can get a
loop that's even just 200' up it can be matched and loaded on 160.

It sounds like you have a pretty good transmatch.  Did you build it or buy
it?  If you bought it, what is it?

73,

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ