[TenTec] 3KC Spacing / K0CQ reply

ac5e at comcast.net ac5e at comcast.net
Fri Oct 31 20:49:42 EST 2003

Well, I have had pretty good luck with Inrad products, but....

First, 2 dB or even 3 dB passband ripple is a lot on paper, and not so much when you listen to the end result. A volume level change of 1 dB is defined as the least perceptable change in volume perceptable to the human ear. 2 dB is sometimes noticible, 3 dB usually is. But a 2 dB or even 3 dB change over a part of the audio range is usually unnoticable. The ear adapts very quickly to such effects.

Second, a quick experiment with a 32 channel audio equalizer between the Ofion, set to 6 kHz bandwidth, and the headphones and rolling off that range an extra 3 dB, and boosting that range 3 dB, shows mighty little difference on SSB.

Rolling the highs off from 1500 Hz to 3 kHz by 6 dB does not make a lot of difference in audio quality either. Personally, I would not give you ten cents for the difference.

BUT, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and fidelity is in the ear of the listener. If you feel the conversion will do what you want to do - do it.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E