[TenTec] Help on Operation of Corsair II

OTAKEBI at aol.com OTAKEBI at aol.com
Wed Sep 10 01:49:56 EDT 2003

I picked up a Corsair II and need to get some information on operation characteristics.
1. In my manual I am told, that the meter switch reads S units in all positions when in receive except in the IC position.
On my radio when I switch meter to process it reads S units but, when I turn on the processor and advance it the meter advances up-scale as I turn up the processor control.
Is that normal?
2. I have the cw filter installed in Xtal switch position 3.
If I turn to cw transmit on the mode switch an s meter signal of s9 will drop to about s2 and I have to turn AF all the way up to hear the cw note.
If I switch to Xtal position 2 signal comes back up to about an s6. If I go to Xtal position 3 I am back to s9.
Does the cw filter cause that much of an attenuation due to it being so narrow?
Is that the way it should be?
3. I have yet to get the ALC LED to light even when I advance the drive control all the way.
The LED works I know that.
And, I know I am putting out 100 watts cause I see it on my outboard meter.
The manual says I should advance the drive control and stop when the ALC LED glows.
4. I have never seen an s meter as sensitive as the one on this radio I read s6 and s7 all the time on 75 meters with just background noise. Are all Corsair meters like that?
I am new to this radio and I thank you all for any information you can give me.
Dan