[TenTec] ZERO BEAT - One More Time

K5BDZ at aol.com K5BDZ at aol.com
Fri Sep 12 17:12:54 EDT 2003

I forgot the obvious... where the name ZERO BEAT came from...

Zero Beat is the center of the frequency you're tuning.

If you're listening 550 cycles... or Hz... above (or below) the signal
center... or zero beat... of the "oft preferred CW listening tone," that means
you're listening to a tone that oscillates at 550 "beats-per-second" above (or
below) the center of the tuned frequency.

THEREFORE "Zero Beat" simply means, no beats-per-second (or NO TONE) or "dead
center frequency" of your received signal.

again.....On Zero Beat, you'll hear no tone... or beat... hence the name
"Zero Beat"

I know it's so simple, but that simplicity caused me to overlook the obvious
during my original explanation....

Bill K5BDZ