[TenTec] Triton 540

Robert Jewell ac9r at comcast.net
Sat Sep 13 16:20:39 EDT 2003

Does anyone know of an easy way to turn off the mute relay in a 540, since
it does not control any internal functions.  I hate clanking relays.  I
could "clip" R-13, or clip the 12 vdc lead to the coil of K-1, but wondered
if there isn't an easier way.  I am technically competent!

Also I "hear" what appears to be another relay operating at "code speed"
with each dot and dash.  I thought this was all solid state T/R like the
Argonaut 515.  I've heard it described as "almost" a 515 with an amp.

It's an excellent radio, a recent Ebay purchase, and I haven't opened the
case yet.  I've had a 515 for about a month and absolutely love it.  I
intend to operate the 540 as a qrp rig also.

I am "downsizing" as I grow old, and recently sold my Omni VI-Plus will all
of the cw filters, and intend to go qrp only from here on out.

73,   AC9R