[TenTec] Any QSK experts here?

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Fri Sep 19 17:28:12 EDT 2003

I posted this on the Orion reflector but thought I would try here also.

I finally decided to hook up my QSK amp to see how it works with
Orion.  Amp Supply uses a vacuum relay, driven by KEY IN from a keyer and
then connects the amp's KEY OUT to Orion's AUX I/O PTT line.  I assume this
is done to insure that there are no delay issues.  I did adjust Orion's CW
QSK Delay to 6% which sounds better than 0% in the monitor, but I suspect
there is a better way to adjust this.

Orion recommends doing it the other way around, i.e. key the radio directly
with the keyer, send TX OUT 1 to the amp's KEY IN, and then send the amp's
KEY OUT back to Orion's TX EN 1.

I haven't tried the second way, but does anyone have an opinion as to which
is best, and how to adjust CW QSK Delay?  I last used QSK with an amp in
about 1960 using the EF Johnson T-R switch, so I'm out of touch with how
these things work these days.  I'm still inclined not to use QSK in
contests for reliability reasons (you only get so many relay cycles in a
relay's lifetime) but may play around with it a bit for DXing.

73,  Bill  W4ZV