[TenTec] Interesting problem and solution

Ken Brown ken.d.brown at verizon.net
Mon Sep 22 22:55:06 EDT 2003

K. Indart wrote:

>Hi,
>Tell me how long you want the coax cable to be and I will make one up for
>you guaranteed......and GRATIS,     It will be good grade commercial US
>made
> coax, either 50 or 75 ohms, your choice, and by return mail.
>   I have an Omni VI+ and a Titan 425 and no problems here.
>
>Note: Those RCA plugs and jacks are not always the best; specially the jack
>contacts can become spread and not make good and reliable contact.  RCA
>plugs were designed for AUDIO, but Collins was the first to use them for low
>level RF and Heath followed.............

Hello K.

Thanks for the offer. Sure I could use a set of good cables, instead of
the cheesy Philmore/Calrad/Radio Schlock ones I am using. I could use
two each three foot long, and one five foot long cable. Impedance is not
important for this application, RG-58 is probably nicer than RG-59 since
it is a little more flexible. This should accomodate any arrangement of
my Omni VI, Titan and 253 that I am likely to try. I bought the premade
cables because I couldn't find any phono connectors that I liked. The
options available here on the big island (Hawaii) are not so diverse as
what you are probably accustomed to.

Yes I am familiar with Heath's use of RCA phono connectors. In about
1973 I had a complete SB series. The SB-301 and SB-401 were bought used
from separate parties, except the speaker, console and "scanalyzer"
which my Dad gave me as Christmas presents and I built. So I had to
build a lot of RCA phono cables to get all the oscilator signals hooked
up and make it work in transceive mode on either VFO, or even backwards,
or dual frequency receive. Some of these features were not standard.

Thanks for the offer,

Ken Brown N6KB
P.O. Box 11288
Hilo, HI 96721