[TenTec] Yahoo, etc

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Tue Sep 23 11:16:54 EDT 2003

         Before everyone totally badmouths Yahoo, here is a
copy of the note I sent to Eric K3NA.

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV

N1JM:
 >Once you sign up, there is a way to opt out of all that marketing stuff.

         Eric, this is true.  I opened a separate Yahoo E-mail account
(free) because I had the same concerns as you (i.e. getting spam from
Yahoo).  But...

1.  I opted out of all the marketing options.
2.  I never get anything from Yahoo directly.
3.  Yahoo has one of the most effective spam filters around...so much
so that I now forward all mail to an old spam-compromised address at my
current ISP to Yahoo, and 90-95% of it is caught by their "Bulk" spam
filter.  What spam remains can be tagged as spam which they use to improve
their filters.

         I'm so happy with Yahoo's Bulk filter that I've even considered
signing up for POP access (only $9.95 per year) and running ALL my e-mail
through their filter first and then forwarding what's left to my current
ISP.  I use a very effective spam filter (Mailwasher Pro) for all my
non-Yahoo addresses, but it it not nearly as effective as Yahoo's because
of the huge volume of messages their site sees, which contributes to the
quality of their filter.  It's like having a gigantic callsign database for
CT versus one you personally construct!

                                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV