[TenTec] BTW, Yahoo's privacy policy isn't as bad as...

Hsu, Aaron aaron.hsu at unistudios.com
Wed Sep 24 12:11:44 EDT 2003

Just a quick OT blurb (but interesting, none-the-less)...

In another newsletter I get, a current hot topic is the new "Site Finder"
page that now comes up instead of a "Site not found" page when you mistype
or enter the name of a website that doesn't exist.  Verisign, aka Network
Solutions ("keeper" of the .com and .org domains) now automatically redirect
you to *their* Site Finder page if a .com or .net address you enter in your
browser doesn't exist.  On their page, there are the usual privacy and
terms-of-use statements.  Cookies are used to track your clicks and
statistical data is freely given to 3rd party companies and there's no
opt-out option.  If you don't agree to these these terms, your expected not
use use the service.  However, there's no way to *NOT* use the service since
mistyping a URL will automatically take you to their service.  Kinda like a
contract-of-adhesion.  Ed Foster (the newsletter's editor) calls it
"Contract by typo".  Nice, eh?

Here's the link to the article, if anyone's interested...
  http://newsletter.infoworld.com/t?ctl=454D6A:1F5A2FE

When you get to the gripe2ed site, I highly recommend you subscribe to the
newsletter.  It's a very informative newsletter (formerly a weekly column in
InfoWorld magazine).

  - Aaron, NN6O