[TenTec] RE: BPL

Don Rasmussen wb8yqj at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 27 15:27:12 EDT 2003

Hi Cliff,

Phonex is very popular here. It sends both sides of my
neighbor's phone conversation throughout their home
using the AC 110 volt wires. The fundamental frequency
is 3.520 and I can hear these phone calls with the rig
at 3.520, 7.040, 14.080, etc. if the rig is in wide FM
mode.

Ed Hare was shocked by the proliferation of Phonex
when it popped up about 3 years ago and began a highly
aggressive effort with the companies involved. Little
did he know at that time that Phonex was just the
"scout party", the tip of the iceberg.

My guess is that the BPL guys can't make any money at
dialup connection speeds, so they need the FCC to
relax the line restrictions to improve the bandwidth.

Every day this thing *doesn't* happen puts the BPL
effort one step further from becoming reality.

I had the Corsair II going this morning and worked
M0TIX on 15m CW. Europe is extremely difficult from
San Diego and rarely better than an S2 on my end. With
BPL around, this QSO never would have happened.

73,
Don WB8YQJ/6