[TenTec] Delta 580 Problem

Anthony Luscre K8ZT aluscre at neo.rr.com
Sun Sep 28 20:30:30 EDT 2003

I have a backup rig Delta 580 that  had been used at field day. Last
week was first time I fired it up since FD. Audio output was very low.
Background noise was almost the same with or with out antenna coax
attached ( I checked the Transmit/Recieve switch and attenuator switch
on back panel. Power output barely moved my watt meter. Opened the case
and tried  jumpering from antenna connector to various points further
down the receive change brought volume back to normal. Working back ward
I found the problem is located very near antenna input. I suspect the
two switching diodes. I do not have a schematic. So three questions for
experts out there:
1. Does it sound like I'm on right track?
2. What type of diodes are listed in the schematic (1N4148 ?)
3. Is there an easy way to remove the board ( the band change switch
extends through that section)