[TenTec] Orion Interfacing

Tommy aldermant at alltel.net
Wed Apr 7 23:10:43 EDT 2004

George,

Sorry but I don't have a solution just yet, and I am trying to set up the
same way you are doing it. Right now I just use a transistor switch for CW
and a different transistor switch for FSK, but I have to manually change the
cables. I was not aware you could externally key the Orion using the KEY
connector on the back of the Orion and turning the internal keyer OFF. Good
thing to try. Otherwise I'm first going to try just connecting my transistor
pull-down collector of both the CW and FSK switches together and see how
that works. If that causes problems, then I'm going to add a steering diode
from each collector to the PTT line, which may not be a good idea because
then you can only get 'close' to ground, i.e., you would have the collector
to emitter PLUS the diode voltage drop to consider, but shouldnt be much
over about 0.8 volts. Just have to try that. FIRST I'm going to try Bucks
suggestion with the KEY connector for CW1

Would appreciate your sharing how you solve it.

Thank.

73   Tom - W4BQF